Thursday, July 2, 2009

Family Reunion

This year for our family reunion we headed down to New Mexico to my parents to do some work. I know most would not consider this a vacation or the ideal thing for a reunion, but that's my family. It was really a lot of fun. We spent the whole weekend working on the roof. My parents were in need of a new roof and so we helped out. Luckily we had some help from the Elders Quorum to help speed things up. Crazy thing was that all 23 of us (minus Daniel) were under that roof. Talk about crazy, but it was fun. I wouldn't have had it any other way. The roof as we were starting to put new shingles up. I spent some good time on the roof helping. It was nice. I got a great tan and a little exercise.
Alena was up there most of the time as well. I never knew how tiring it is to scrape shingles off a roof. Rebecca was able to make it up but Daniel wasn't able to come. He was the only one missing. Apparently before I arrived she was on the roof too. I was surprised to see this photo.

We also made humanitarian school kits. It was neat. I thought it was a great idea to do some service things like this. Lindsay, Kristin, Mom, Heidi, and Rebecca spent a lot of time working on these I helped a little.
Kristin has always fooled us by playing the "I'm not a domestic women" role but we learned quickly that she actually paid attention in Home Ec.
Look at all those bags. Heidi thankfully had a lot made from a Young Women's activity in her ward.
We also had a pine wood derby event. The kids LOVED it. Elijah was especially excited to be participating. He wasn't really paying attention as to whether or not he won he just was jumping up and down yelling "I won, I won" when he usually came in last. His "Mac" semi was not built for speed. It was fun.
Being the only one in my family not married I usually participate in the children activities. I don't really mind doing so I actually really like it and even when I am married I'll probably still be participating. I didn't race my car but I was the only "grown up" that put one together. Rebecca and Alena came up with these really cute trophy things out of candy. Kurstyn won for the fastest car, Parker got Skittles for the "Colorfulest car", Ben won Sweet Tarts for the "Sweetest Ride", Elijah won something for the biggest, Emily won for the most real looking car and I don't remember what Lexi's car one.
The reunion was SO much FUN. Sure we didn't go to some fancy place and relax all weekend but we worked, and talked, and watched funny home videos, and honestly I think that is how families come closer. I can't wait for next year!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Missy that was a great post. You need to print these so that you have them in a journal or something like that. I need to blog but I never can find the time. And last week some bosses from corperate came down. One asked if he could use our camera to take some pictures of the progress of the new stores and he left it in a office with no doors or locks. Lets just say I don't have a camera any more. With all the construction workers going in and out I have no idea who could have taken it. Any way I don't have my camera anymre. We also got our internet cut and have not got it back yet. Drama oh well I am use to it. Heidi claims I creat it. =) I love you and miss you so much. We need to talk. I will call you this week.

Sheleeha said...

hey how the heck come did i not know you were in town?? i don't know if you got my text or call, i wasn't able to leave a message... hmmm but we need to get together... someday love you

Heidi said...

You look so pretty in the picture on the roof. And Becca was up on the roof after you all left...Monday morning.

Adrienne said...

CUTEEEEEE!!! I miss you Mels! Come home safe!

Unknown said...

you dork remember when we had pine wood derby for young womens, that was fun. now hurry back home so i can see you.