Sunday, March 29, 2009

Festival of Colors!

Ok so Saturday was SO much fun. Up here in Spanish Fork they have a Hare Krishna temple. It was very beautiful and every year they have a festival called Holi Festival of Colors. Click here for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi_festival. Well this year some of my roommates and I decided that we wanted to go.
We decided that we would make t-shirts and go to see how dirty they got after the color throwing. This is the temple. It was really pretty and ornate on the outside. The inside was really beautiful as well.
There were thousands of people there. Mainly made up of BYU and UVU students. However, I felt bad for those who were actually trying to worship because there were students everywhere in their temple and they couldn't get to all the worship areas that they were to go to.
Well we made our t-shirts and sat on a grassy area waiting for the color throwing to begin. While we were waiting they had a little show going on with different girls doing Hindu dances. They were really good. Also they had something that they lit on fire and as soon as it was lit we were supposed to throw the colors on each other. This is what we threw on each other. It is like chalk but not really. The stuff in the packaged bags was very dark and showed up really well. Well apparently the fire was lit early and there was a premature throwing of the colors. All of the sudden we were told that we weren't supposed to throw. So my roommates and I made our way down to the bottom and waited to throw at the right time. Well we sang some song and then counted down to throw. Let's just say that with thousands of people throwing color in the air and at others it was really hard to see or breath, but it was so much FUN!
You pretty much become doused in color and it gets everywhere. It felt really cool to have the color splash on your skin.
Well after it was all over you would have never known that our shirts were white when we started.

It was so much fun. It was also really dirty. I had color all over me. My pants, shoes, undershirt, hair, ears, and I'm not going to even talk about what when up my nose. I was coughing and spitting up purple dust for a while.
After the initial throwing there were still people throwing color hence the reason I have purple mustache.
Here is a video to show you a little bit of what goes on. There were so many people there that it was hard to move and get out but it was great.

This video shows me shaking some of the color out of my hair. Carrie caught the latter end of it. Just imagine what it was like when I first shook it out.
Well after it was all done we headed home and jumped in the shower. Carrie had a date right after and only washed her hair once. Being blond it was pink afterward. When I showered the water was purple and I had to wash my hair THREE times before it was pretty clean. I had a BLAST and can't wait to go back!

7 comments:

Sheleeha said...

wow babe that looks like u had so much fun... i wish there were fun things like that to do here... ugh. anyways keep them comin :) i miss ya woman!

Rebecca said...

Missy how do you know about all these things that go on. I lived in Utah for almost two year and I never heard about is event before. How crazy and fun. Do you know why they throw the color. Does it have a special meaning?

Lauren said...

Wahoo! Love the pictures!

Megan said...

What a stinkin fun idea! That is so fun! Glad that you got to go...are you coming for the wedding? Well I think that you need to come over for a round of dominos...ya think?

Sorry to hear about your Grandma!

Katie Wells said...

Craziness. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Unknown said...

that looks like so much fun i've never even heard of that before.

Heidi said...

I could never do that Missy. The color would freak me out. Breathing it and all. Just thinking about it floating everywhere around me in the air makes me claustrophobic.