Saturday, October 16, 2010

Conference Weekend

This year for October Conference Randy and Kristin invited me to go home with them to New Mexico. I didn't have anything going on so I packed up and went. It was great! I got to spend 6 hours down and 6 hours back watching Cars and Shrek with a little kid who was so excited about them, until he got bored 3/4 through the movies and would say, "It's over, it's over" He was so funny and kept me laughing the whole time. This is a giant beet mom and dad had so we measured Asher against it to see how big it was.
Conference weekend always mean canning time, which is exactly what we did. I actually like canning but we canned pears and they are the messiest thing ever.
You have to peel them and you get sticky juice running down your arms dripping off your elbows and your hands get pruny from all the juice! (Oh I forgot to mention that we cut up a few beets as well) Mom, Randy, Kristin, and I stuck with peeling the pears....

Dad was in charge of packing them into the bottles and prepping them.

We canned 63 quarts of pears. My hands were pruny and my hand hurt from holding the knife for a long period of time. It was a lot of fun and Conference was amazing!

4 comments:

mom and dad said...

Thanks for coming and helping! It was so fun to see you and have you home for a few minutes. Sorry we didn't even get to make a run to at least Walmart. Love you. mom

Unknown said...

Invite me next time I seriously need to learn to can.

Heidi said...

I used to think pears were the worst. Now I don't mind. I think it has something to do with the height of the cupboard. The juice no longer runs down to my elbows.

Rebecca said...

Cutting is all I know how to do when it comes to cannig. I and turning of the heat when the timer goes off. I can't believe the beet was bigger than Asher that is a huge beet. Daniel loves beets. I can't wait for him to taste moms. He will die when he sees how yummy they are.